Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's time to play kitchen.

One of my favorite toys growing up was my play kitchen. I have fond memories of baking up a storm, pulling out the fold-down table and sharing a delicious snack with my care bear, rainbow bright & Gem.
Imagine me dicing up a little treat at this state-of-the-art kitchen center.

Being that I'm so obsessed with the fuzzy memories of my tiny little culinary feasts, I've been researching play kitchens for Chloe pretty much since she was born. I have big plans to give her a fully stocked kitchen for her 2nd birthday including dreams of a beautiful wooden kitchen for our little chef, but to be honest, the plastic kitchens are striking my fancy more these days - they are usually larger, cheaper and come with more accessories. But nothing seems to fit the bill when it comes to the 'perfect' play kitchen: wooden, well spaced, plenty of doors/drawers/shelves, table included for serving up a mean tea party, a phone, doesn't include sounds, and has a sleek vintage/modern look...oh yeah, and less that 500.00 would be nice....and by less than 500.00 I mean it has to be less than 200.00.
I'd rather make a modified version of this...or this this or this or this or this or this or this. I just have to convince myself to commit to this seemingly monumental task.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Girl, we have a very basic wooden kitchen right now, but I wish we had more counter and shelf space for the kids to place their food etc and to "cook" in. I have a friend who does everything in a very montessori way, and put together a great looking kitchen by searching garage sales, for wooden furniture pieces and then just painting them all the same color. Her has lots of shelves for little bowls, food, rags and utensils. She labels the shelves and its a great way to teach organization at a young age. Good luck!

M Weisse said...

Well, Molly let me tell you I to had big dreams of making my own kitchen, but boy was I happy when I found one for free that was not only really cool, but was also going to save me so much time! Don't get me wrong, it would have been a fun undertaking that I could brag about for years, but it was also a relief to not have to do it. I wish you the best. The examples you found are so cute and give me lots more ideas I will probably never follow through on. For now, I am just going to focus on filling Jimmy's kitchen with more felt food. By the way, I think the kitchen we have is actually from Costco and they sell them every year around Christmas (sometimes in pink, but ours is red) for around $100. Not too bad compared to most. Lastly, is that plastic kitchen a picture you found online or is it something you actually had? It is pretty 1980s cool.

stongies said...

Mary...if I were to buy a kitchen (which may very well happen as I can't figure out how to make one) it would be yours! all it lacks is an attached table... it's my dream to have a fold-down table!

Kathleen... i love this idea of a really spread out kitchen!

Unknown said...

I just recently started following your blog and saw where you would like a really neat (maybe wooden)play kitchen. Check this one out from another blog I follow..Its an AMAZING DIY kitchen. http://suttongrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/repurposed-entertainment-center.html My daughter made my twin grandaughters a wooden kitchen with wooden and felt food and metal pans and they have a great time with it. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Does anyone know where to get one of the fisher price kitchens like in the picture. I've seen a few on eBay but they aren't in good condition or it costs an arm and a leg to ship.