Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sisal Pendant Light

The lamp in my living room was my nemesis. There are worse ones out there, sure, but this one has a shade that collects dust like it's its job, has a bulky shape, and in my opinion is generally just a total downer . So....
I moved it to another room and went lightless for a few months....
Until I remembered this awesome project that I found. I've been wanting to make this forever, and I finally got a chance this weekend. Instead of hemp, I decided to use sisal b/c I like the messy texture and the color looked better for this spot.

Sisal twine (I got mine at Hardware city, our local hardware store, but I'm sure most any hardware store would carry it. Look in the rope section. The whole 200+ foot roll was about $6:
Then I got this big playground ball from Target ($2.88)

And I reached my hand into this:

and coated the sisal twine a few inches at a time by running it through my modge-podge covered hands (very messy so you want to be sure to put down a dropcloth of some sort). As I covered the twine in modge podge I began winding it around the ball in a haphazard criss cross pattern. I left a few inches uncovered at one end so that I could get the ball out later...Then I let it dry for two days, before deflating the ball and pulling it out through the hole. It stuck to the sides a little bit so I gently reached in and peeled it away from the places it was sticking.
Then I used a light kit from ikea ($3) and ran it through one of the criss cross openings in the top, and mounted it with a ceiling hook:

19 comments:

stongies said...

seriously... i AM making 2 of these for our living room...maybe one for the dining area too-- -i have been on a mad lamp hunt for 3 years and everything I've found is not what I'm looking for..until now!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU LEAH!!!!

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

I love it! I wonder if I'm too OCD to actually create a random pattern..? ;) Seriously - great idea!

-maria

Unknown said...

Super cool!

Desiree said...

You are a genius! I have been looking at your blog for the past hour and have just fallen in love with your creative ideas! this is everything ive ever wanted to convey but havent been able to. Thank you for this wonderful lighting idea! I cant wait to go out and get the stuff for this!

#thisisme said...

This is really nice...do you think it would work w/yarn....I really wanna try this...mayb I'll do it w/yarn on a smaller level sconces and if it works out a full lamp...thanks for the idea...

Infarrantly Creative said...

Holy heck that is AWESOME...thanks for sharing it with us. And your house is so comfy. I loves it.

The Crafteelaydee said...

You can make awesome Christmas ornaments, with little balloons, embroidery floss or crochet yarn and Modpodge. Done the exact same way, add glitter when the glue is starting drying but still tacky. I have made those for gifts!

Liz Revit said...

Great project! Thanks for sharing.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I saw your project on Modge Podge Rocks. This is amazing. Your photos and lamp are terrific!

Teresa aka Tess said...

I too found your through ModPodge Rocks. Your lamp is awesome and adds a whole new feel to the corner. Love it...

Barb Smith said...

This is the most awesome lamp EVER! I am excited to make one for our dining room. Thanks so much for the great inspiration. (Found you through ModPodgeRocks, too, btw.)
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Ashley said...

That is amazing!! I just added it to my project list. I am in love with your tables too!! Where did you find them??

ProudTejana said...

I also just found this project through mod podge rocks newsletter. How simple and way cool!

Kimara said...

I have got the perfect place to hang this lamp. Thanks so much for sharing your instructions and the inspiration. I'll be linking on Facebook :)

olive and love said...

Thanks for the great idea. I linked to your blog in my Pottery Barn Edison Chandelier inspired creation I'm contemplating in my blog OliveandLove

Anonymous said...

Wow!
¡que buena idea!
muchas gracias por compartir..

Judy Whatilivefor said...

I loved this so much that I had to go try it...with yarn and a balloon, but I still had fun, and my son got to help. I think I want to try it with something other than yarn, but it still turned out pretty neat.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

AWESOME..im going to try this soon! :)))))))

Seo Leena said...

For something a little more modern, how about a traditional desk lamp or something quirky, like a lamp with the sun, moon and stars on? You can get copper-based lamps, gold effect lamps, silver lamps and many more types. Your table lamps should match both your personality and requirements. Table Lamp